Being from Texas, I am a sucker for Mexican food. I have been making this colorful and satisfying dish for years, and it always hits the spot. All our family and friends seem to ask for seconds every time we serve it, so it must be good! It’s got such great flavor, we never miss the meat or dairy.
This is a family favorite because it’s so satisfying and simple to throw together. Plus, no rolling, and no tortillas breaking! Served with some creamy vegan sour cream and ripe avocados…just doesn’t get any better!
It’s also extremely versatile. I fill it with beans, zucchini, and corn, but you can really use anything you like. Mushrooms, peppers, rice, onions, whatever. Eat it alone as a meal, or serve it as a side dish. Whatever you’re into. And a huuuge bonus is that this recipe makes a ton of servings at once and freezes wonderfully!
Hearty Enchilada Casserole
- 4 cans black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 very large zucchini diced
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 1 1/2-2 teaspoons salt you can taste and adjust
- Pepper to taste
- About 25 corn tortillas
- 5 or 6 cups salsa red or green
- 3-4 avocados diced
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 green onions chopped
- 3 limes quartered
- 1/2-1 cup vegan sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line lasagna dish with parchment paper.
- Mix zucchini, corn, beans, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Spoon about a fifth of your salsa onto the parchment paper, then cover with a layer of tortillas (4-6 will do the job. It's fine to break them up to fit the shape you need.)
- Spread a third of the veggie mixture onto the tortilla layer and cover with salsa (also about a fifth of your total salsa).
- Repeat tortilla-veggie-salsa process until you have three layers.
- Cover with another layer of tortillas and spoon your remaining salsa over the top.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Serve with avocado, cilantro, sour cream, and lime juice.
This is a fantastic Mexican casserole without the guilt. Everything cooks together deliciously and produces an unexpected flavor combo! I have also put some cilantro/cashew cream on it as a topping and I’m in heaven! I absolutely love it and will be making it again soon!
That’s great to hear! Thanks for sharing!
This recipe is SO GOOD. Super simple, super tasty comfort food! It’s marked in my recipe app as a KEEPER!
Thank you so much, Amy! So glad you like it!
This is a keeper! It’s easy to make, healthy, delicious, and freeze as well. Even my non-vegan friends love it! I top it with cashew cream. To die for!
Thank you so much, Sherry! So glad you guys love it!
This is so good and takes me back to my Arizona roots!!
Thank you so much!
I’ve been looking for a new vegan dinner recipe to try! This one is perfect!
Great! Hope you love it as much as we do!
I LOVE this dish! Super filling and a total comfort food that’s actually nutritious! The fact that it comes together easily and can even be frozen makes it all the better!
So glad you enjoy it!
This is so delicious and just what the doctor ordered when you’re craving tex mex comfort food .I swapped pinto beans and added olives and cilantro -so good!
Yay! Thank you for taking the time to review!