If you’re like me (or almost any human), you love cheese. Since adopting a plant-based lifestyle, getting that perfect cheesy flavor without any actual cheese has been a major goal in many different kinds of foods. One example: cheese crackers. I used to just help myself to a box and not stop until I realized with disappointment that the box was empty. (Not that I’m advocating eating a whole box of anything….) THANKFULLY, these crackers reeeeally do the trick. They are almost too good to be true! So cheesy, so tangy, and so crunchy! Bonus: they’re so crazy nutritious and bean based, so people like me who really can’t have a lot of grainy stuff, rejoice!
Impossibly Cheesy Healthy Vegan Crackers
- 6 cups cooked white beans
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour gluten-free flour prob ok
- 1 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 5 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons tehina/tahini 1-ingredient sesame paste; NOT the dip with other ingredients
- Around 1 c water
- Blend beans with cashews in food processor til VERY smooth.
- Spread evenly onto parchment-paper-lined baking sheet and dehydrate in oven (about 170 Fahrenheit or warm setting) for 6 hours or until very dry.
- Blend dried bean-cashew stuff with remaining ingredients (except water) finely in food processor until well combined.
- Drizzle water one tbsp at a time while pulsing til you get a nice soft dough (around a cup of water).
- Divide into 4 portions and cut 5 pieces of parchment paper the size of your baking sheet. Place each ball of dough on one piece of parchment paper.
- Flatten each ball with your hands, cover with your fifth piece of parchment paper to keep dough from sticking to hands/rolling pin, then roll out as thin and even as possible with rolling pin, covering most of the surface of bottom parchment paper.
- Transfer (with both pieces parchment paper) to baking sheet and score on top of parchment paper with a dull knife to shape crackers. It's ok if the crackers aren't totally separate since you can break them easily from the scoring after baking.
- Remove top paper and bake at 350 for about 15 min, then check every 5 minutes to remove crackers that are ready and allow underdone crackers to keep baking. Crackers are ready when browned.
- Allow to cool FULLY before eating or storing. If you find some aren't as crispy as you like, you can pop them back into the oven at any time for 5 min to crisp up.