This Zesty Moroccan Carrot Salad was inspired by one I devoured at the home of a dear friend Alisheva, great hostess and amazing cook. After seconds and thirds, and maybe fourths, I knew I had to recreate it. It has the most incredible flavor, and just the right amount of it, without being overpowering.
Those who know me best will be shocked at the ingredients because I’ve always adamantly hated on cilantro and cumin, and both are main stars in this dish. What can I say. I have evolved!
One thing I love about this is how gorgeous and delicate the carrot ribbons are. You don’t need any crazy equipment for these – just a regular vegetable peeler will do the trick! However, while it’s not super time consuming or complicated, if you ain’t got time f’dat, you could totally just buy carrot matchsticks and use those instead.
The walnut cheese is a really yummy special touch and comes together in literally seconds. The salad is still fantastic without it, but I highly recommend it.
Ingredients (available for purchase and delivery via links below):
Carrots – for that sweet, earthy, crunchy goodness
Lemon juice (from a real lemon – not the bottled stuff!) – to make it bright and tangy
Salt – to bring out the flavor (optional if avoiding salt)
Garlic – to add savory zip
Cumin – for ethnic flair
Black pepper – for a bit of bite
Cilantro – for freshness and flavor
Roasted pistachios – for a nutty satisfying crunch
Walnut cheese – for a creamy umami yum factor
Zesty Moroccan Carrot Salad
- 8 large carrots
- Juice of 2 lemons about half a cup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup packed tight finely chopped cilantro (including stems)
- 1 tablespoon dry roasted pistachios optional
- 1 tablespoon walnut cheese optional, see previous post for recipe
- Use your peeler to slice carrots into ribbons. With each carrot, you'll get to a point where there's more left but it's very difficult to peel. Move on to the next carrot at that point and save the unpeelable parts for something else.
- In a cup, mix all remaining ingredients except pistachios and walnut cheese.
- Pour over carrot ribbons and gently mix well.
- Place onto your serving plate and top with pistachios, walnut cheese, and extra cilantro or parsley to garnish.