Do I really need to say anything?
Let me just say, people who eat “normal” desserts have been going back for thirds of this. It is so indulgently rich and decadent. Eating it feels like doing something…bad. In a reeeeally good way. The amazing thing is that, despite being made from only wholesome ingredients, it. just. tastes. like. cake.
Did I mention it’s 100 percent whole grain, contains no oil or eggs, and is sweetened only with dates? Or that it’s got only 9 ingredients in the whole thing – including the frosting?
I literally fed this to my kids for breakfast one morning and did not feel bad about it at all. Why would I? Would you feel bad if you put some dates, nuts, and whole grains in front of your kid for breakfast?
If you’re looking for a way to have your cake and eat it too, this is your cake. (In related news, why is that even an expression? Who doesn’t have their cake specifically in order to eat it?) Get ready to swoon.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups date sugar
- 1¼ cups cacao/cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup almond butter/unsweetened sunflower butter (any nut butter will probably work)
- 3½ cups nondairy milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups raw cashew pieces (soaked in water for a few hours if your food processor isn't very strong)
- ¾ cup date sugar
- ¼ cup cacao/cocoa powder
- 1¾ cups nondairy milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift all dry ingredients into large bowl so as to avoid clumps.
- Add all wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Prepare 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper and pour in the batter evenly.
- Bake for 45 minutes to an hour (an hour for pretty fudgey, 45 minutes for ultra fudgey).
- In the meantime prepare your icing by grinding all ingredients in the food processor until very smooth. This might take a few minutes. If your food processor isn't very strong, you might want to soak your cashews in water for a couple hours first (and then discard the water before using).
- Let cake cool for at least 20 minutes before removing from pan, and let cool nearly completely before icing.
- Spread icing evenly on all sides of cake.
- Serve and enjoy! Store in the fridge or freezer.