Let’s just say I made two dozen of these babies yesterday and now they’re gone. Let’s also say my kids had unlimited desserts today because these were so nutritious and I didn’t have to feel even a little bit bad. Would you feel bad about whole grains, nuts, dates, and spices? Cuz that’s just about all that’s in there.
These sweet treats are nice and soft and have just the right amount of spice. (Did I mention you can even make them gluten free?!) They’ll make you want to make a hot cup of tea and snuggle under a blanket by the fire with a good book. What could be more inviting?
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour (gluten-free flour should work too)
- 1½ cups raw cashews
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger*
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup date sugar
- ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¾ cup water
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Grind all dry ingredients in the food processor until very fine. Slowly drizzle in water while pulsing food processor until you have a soft, malleable dough that's not too sticky. (You might not need a full ¾ cup so only add just a little at a time to be sure.)
- If it's too soft to shape into cookies, refrigerate for 20 min or so first.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Shape cookies and place on parchment paper.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, checking periodically to make sure they don't overcook.
- Let cool and store in an airtight container.