I am SO SO SO SUPER EXCITED to share this healthy vegan ice cream sandwich recipe with you because, let me just say, these are insane. You will NEVER, EVER, EVER know that these are dairy free, refined-sugar free, and totally nutritious. Be forewarned that they are definitely not low calorie, and it’s not like you could eat unlimited amounts of them without a worry (well, I couldn’t),. But as far as desserts go, they don’t get much healthier than this. Plus they are beyond rich and dreamy, and if sandwiches aren’t your thing, then forget that part and just eat the ice cream. Ok, so I have to shut up already so you can just make them!
Chocolate Cherry Almond Healthy Vegan Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 cup raw cashew pieces
- 10 medium medjool dates
- 1 1/2 cup nondairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons raw cacao powder or regular cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup chopped black cherries frozen is fine
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted almonds
- 1 cup Trader Joe's GF flour or whole wheat
- 1 cup date sugar or packed cup of medjool dates
- 1 cup raw cashew pieces
- 2/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- Blend all ice cream ingredients EXCEPT cherries and almonds in high-speed blender until VERY smooth and creamy. It should not have any little pieces left in it when you're done blending. If you don't have a high-speed blender, soak your cashews and dates in the blender with the soy milk for an hour or so before adding other ingredients and blending.
- If using an ice cream maker, refrigerate mixture for several hours until completely cold, and make sure your ice cream maker has been chilled in the freezer for 12 hours or so before churning. If not using an ice cream maker, freeze mixture in a container with chopped cherries and almonds, then stir well every couple hours until you have a nice soft-serve consistency. You can also skip the mixing step if you don't care too much about the texture, or just stir a couple times.
- In the meantime, make the cashew date cookies. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grind all ingredients EXCEPT WATER in food processor until fine, then slowly add water while pulsing until you have a soft, pliable dough.
- Shape into a square about 1 foot x 1 foot.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until just BARELY beginning to brown.
- Allow to cool completely, then slice in half.
- If using an ice cream maker, when your ice cream mixture is totally chilled, put it in the ice cream maker along with cherries and almonds for 10-15 minutes or until very thick and ice-creamy.
- Spread ice cream evenly onto one half of the cookie, then cover with the other half of the cookie.
- Wrap in foil and freeze for another few hours until hardened.
- Remove from foil and cut into 8-10 sandwiches, then store in zipper freezer bags, removing as much air from the bags as possible.
I’m so glad I found your site because you cook exactly the way I like to!!!! Real whole foods and recipes that taste DELISH! No sacrifice!!! Healthy and delicious! 🙂 Thanks so much!
Love hearing this! So glad you found us!
Yum!!! So good!
Thank you, Miriam!
These are so good!! Yum and refreshing!
Thank you, Chaya!