Did you ever think you’d see broccoli and chocolate in the same recipe? Neither did I…until I started eating the way I do, now it’s just par for the course in my life. Isn’t it everyone’s dream to eat vegetables that taste like chocolate? Go, live your dream. Don’t let the shock of the combo scare you – it’s actually delicious and honestly does not taste like broccoli. I wouldn’t do that to you.
There’s another secret healthy ingredient in here…chickpeas! They add a little extra heartiness and help fill you up without making you feel like you’re eating a mouthful of beans. If this seems weird, just think about all the recipes you’ve seen for black bean brownies, realize this actually is a thing, breathe in, breathe out, and relax.
Feel free to decrease the ingredients that are scary for you, and add some banana, date, or raisin if you like things really sweet. This is only mildly sweet, but I prefer not to add extra sweetener.
Smoothies tend to be an obvious breakfast, but as filling and well-rounded as this baby is, it can be a great lunch, as well. Give it a shot!
- ¾ cup frozen broccoli
- 1½ large banana, frozen or refrigerated
- ⅓ cup cooked/canned chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon raw flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder (regular cocoa powder is fine)
- Pinch of salt (optional)
- Few drops vanilla (optional)
- 1 cup nondairy milk, or enough until it blends and reaches desired thickness
- Blend until very smooth and creamy.