Whether you want to impress your friends at brunch or treat yourself to a solo night of Netflix and savory pie (if that’s not a thing, it totally should be), this galette will do the trick. And with only 15 minutes of active prep and a teeny ingredient list of items you might even already have, you can make it whenever your heart desires. The buttery crust and juicy tomatoes make for an appetizer that’s as flavorful as it is gorgeous.
Rustic Tomato Galette
- 1 cup raw cashews I have also used raw walnuts and hemp seeds successfully
- 1 cup whole wheat or gluten-free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- About 3-4 medium-large tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh basil leaves optional
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees farenheit.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit a standard baking sheet.
- In the food processor, grind your cashews, flour, and salt as finely as you can.
- Slowly drizzle water one tablespoon at a time into the ground mixture while PULSING the food processor until you have a soft, crumbly mixture that can be nicely pressed into a dough.
- Shape your pie dough by rolling it into a circle with a diameter the width of your parchment paper.
- Fill dough with thinly sliced tomatoes, making 1-2 layers. Leave the outer edge (about 1 1/2-inches) free of tomato.
- Fold the edges over the tomatoes to create the shape of your galette. It's okay if the shape is a little irregular, as that adds to the artisan look.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 20-30 minutes until the crust is beginning to brown and the tomatoes are starting to shrivel and brown.