I am thrilled to share this incredible sweet and savory dish! The flavor is so unique and delicious, I’ve honestly never tasted anything else like it (in a good way!). It Includes almost every one of the Rosh Hashanah simanim (traditional foods eaten on the Jewish New Year that symbolize the blessings we seek), and you could totally add the rest. A huge bonus is that the ingredients can be prepped a few days before the holiday. Plus, you can definitely swap this or that according to your taste or what’s available. As always, it’s healthy, easy, and fast.
This was created with your Rosh Hashanah table in mind, but it is also great as a meal in and of itself and can certainly be prepped for a several days of lunches!
Curried Couscous with Roasted Veg and Orange Tahin
- 2 cups cooked whole wheat couscous or quinoa, bulgar, brown rice, etc., salted to your taste
- LIGHT dash of curry powder optional
- 15 petitpan squash or pieces of other squash or pumpkin
- 2 small-medium raw red beets sliced into thin rounds
- 1 small raw golden beet chopped into thin long pieces
- 1 large carrot sliced into thin rounds
- 3 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- 1/3 cup cooked or canned black eyed peas
- A small handful of alfalfa sprouts or any delicate leafy green
- Zest of half a small orange
- 1/4 cup tehina 1-ingredient sesame paste, NOT the prepared condiment with other ingredients
- 1/4 cup orange juice water or any other fruit juice is fine
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons date syrup or other sweetener
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, lay your squash, red beets, and carrot slices on it in a single layer, and salt to your taste.
- Roast in the oven for about 30 minutes or until cooked to your taste. I like the beets and carrots chewy and the squash soft.
- Mix dressing ingredients and shake or stir vigorously. Should be creamy but not too thick to drizzle.
- Mix the couscous with the cooked and raw ingredients, drizzle the dressing (DON'T mix it! Not even when you eat it! It's a different, better experience...trust me!), and top with the orange zest and sprouts.
RATE & COMMENT